General Range Rules v.1-1-15
General Safety Rules
1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use. (Guns may only be loaded at the firing line or other designated shooting position and the range is HOT).
4. Guns may only be handled at the firing positions or in a designated preparation area except during club sponsored training or fund raising events where handling of guns may be allowed inside the clubhouse and NO live ammunition is simultaneously present.Uncased guns are not permitted in the clubhouse at all other times
5. When CEASE FIRE is called, all guns must be unloaded immediately, actions opened, and firearms pointed in a safe direction.
6. All shooters and spectators must wear appropriate ear and eye protection when on, or near the firing line when the range is hot. Anyone on the property who is close enough to the firing line to be affected by noise or flying objects must wear appropriate ear and eye protection. Ear and eye protection is available in the club house.
7. No eating, smoking, or open top beverage containers (cups, glasses, mugs..) are allowed on the firing line or shotgun fields.
8. No alcohol may be consumed and no alcoholic containers are allowed on Club property while any of the ranges are open.
9. Fully automatic firearms are restricted on the range.
10. The range is open to members and guests on this schedule:
a. Every Thursday from noon to 8 pm
b. Every Saturday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
c. The first and third Saturdays are primarily for the youth program and adult members and their guests that support the youth program. Range times are 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
11. When entering the range property, all members and all guests MUST LOG IN. Anyone on the range who has not logged in may be asked to leave the range.
12. Shooters must CHECK IN with the Range Safety Officer (RSO) on duty before shooting.
13. Guests must be accompanied and supervised by an adult club member. While guests are handling firearms, member must be within arms’ reach of guest (see exception for trap and 5-stand).
14. Members are responsible for conduct of their guests and must give guests a safety briefing covering range rules applicable to their activities on the range.
15. A member whose guest has been asked to leave the range, will also be asked to leave the range.
16. At youth events, an instructor for the type firearms being used must be present in a supervisory role.
17. Anyone under 18 must be under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian at all times.
18. Shooters must CHECK OUT with the RSO on duty before leaving.
19. When leaving the range, clean up all trash. All members and all guests must LOG OUT.
20. Violations of any range or safety rules may result in a disciplinary action by Club officers up to and including forfeiture of membership.
Copyright 2017 Middlesex Shooting Sports Club